Over the Summer I went to the St. Paul farmers market and saw some beautiful tart cherries. I talked to the farmer about his product and what he suggested to do with them – he said they were great for cherry pies, crisps and an egg based custard called clafoutis. There were so many options, but my mind immediately went to jam. While I was studying abroad in France, my host mom made her own cherry and fig jam and it inspired me to learn how – with a healthy twist, of course! Here’s how to make it:
- 2 cups tart cherries
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- In a sauce pan on medium heat, add pitted cherries and coconut sugar
- simmer for about 5 minutes, or until they start to break down.
- Once the cherries soften and release juice, add in the chia seeds and stir.
- Lower the heat and stir for another 10-15 minutes until the mixture becomes thick.
- Once the jam has been cooled COMPLETELY, store in any container for up to 3 weeks.
- I stored mine in a small mason jar and used it up quickly, but feel free to sterilize and can the product so it will last longer!
Aren’t they so beautiful? <3
Fun Fact: My family actually has a tart cherry tree in our backyard, but all the birds ate our cherries before I could pick them! I will definitely be making this recipe again with cherries from my own backyard – before the birds steal them. 🙂
A classic PB & J – with a twist! Check out my instagram for more recipes!